Saturday, August 28, 2010

Travels with Charley

What a fun day with nothing out of the ordinary happening. We hung out inside watching Eric Clapton's "Crossroads" from 2007, read a little, wrote a little and just relaxed. In the afternoon we ventured out and did a bit of shopping. Gold Beach has a wonderful little book store and art gallery, so you know we had to go there. What a priceless little gem to come across in a small, seaside town like this.

While there, James found Steinbeck's "Travels With Charley," a book some friends in Laguna Beach suggested, so we bought it. We then had lunch out, went to the store for dinner vittles and back to the RV to pick up Peanut and take him shopping! There is a wonderful store here called "Woof" that caters solely to dogs and since it is getting colder and colder the more north we go, I decided he needed a sweater. I'm grinning ear to ear because Peanut HATES to have any type of clothing on, but I swear, I think he is thankful for this. It is a green turtleneck with brown buttons and it suits him to a tee! I love it! I will post some photos on the Photo Journal so you can all see.

We then spent the rest of the afternoon taking turns reading aloud chapters from "Travels with Charley." What a great book! I had forgotten what an amazing author Steinbeck is and have truly enjoyed reading/listening to it. Friends suggested it because it is a tale of John traveling across the country, in a camper/truck with his dog, Charley. All of the details, conversations he had about his trip and the encounters he has had (so far...we aren't even half way through the book), strike a very familiar note to us! Even for those who haven't traveled in an RV/Camper, this book is worth reading. It is set in 1960...very interesting.

I then cooked a mean dinner, if I say so myself. Sorry...I love to cook and being in an RV in no way means I can't cook up some of our favorite meals like grilled pork chops, smashed potatoes and steamed asparagus. Yummy! It has been another lovely day of relaxation and pure enjoyment.

We will be hitting Crater Lake tomorrow, leaving bright and early in the morning, but not yet sure if we will be spending the night or driving back. I guess we will determine that when we are there!

Prayers go out to my Mom and Ted, who are in Washington DC attending the Glenn Beck Rally, and to my friend Dawn and her family as they begin a new chapter in Texas. We love you all and wish everyone a wonderful weekend! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment